Diabetic Retinopathy is caused due to high blood sugar from diabetes, leading to the damage of the tiny blood vessels in the retina. Light is detected by the retina, which converts it into a signal sent through the optic nerve and the brain. This Retinopathy leads to leaking fluid or bleeding from blockade, which affects the vision. The high blood sugar levels damage the retina’s blood vessels of the diabetic patient.
The retina cells begin to die due to disruption of normal blood supply and hence are unable to function properly. The fluid accumulation within retinal cells from leaking vessels, disruption of blood supply, adherent vitreous causing retinal detachment, hemorrhage within retina or vitreous could all lead to irreversible vision loss unless consulted and treated in time.
Prevent the loss of the vision by early diagnosis to take place for further treatment. Diabetic Retinopathy treatment will help in improving the vision.
Some of the Diabetic Retinopathy treatments are-
- Laser Surgery: In this method, the blood vessels are sealed to stop the fluid leakage inside the eye.
- Intraocular Surgery: During the surgery, the blood that seeps into the vitreous cavityis cleared with a vitrectomy cutter.
Retinal detachment is a condition of an eye in which the retina is pulled up away from the sclera leading to the loss of vision. It is usually caused by blood or vitreous pulling it away.
Symptoms include for Retinal Detachment are-
- Small dots or threads in your vision
- Darkness over your vision
- Flashes of light
Your doctor should diagnose retinal detachment properly, after dilating your pupil. An indirect ophthalmoscope is used to look through your eyes, whether your retina is attached.
Retinal Detachment Treatment is important to improve the vision of your eye. Retinal detachment surgery is a surgery in which attachment of underlying tissue is separate from the retina. These are the result of a retinal break, hole, or tear.
- Pneumatic Retinopexy: This treatment method is good for those who have a small tear and easy to close. The doctor will inject a tiny gas bubble into the vitreous gel that presses against the retina’s upper part, which helps in sealing the retina.
- Laser or freezing– This treatment method can easily repair the torn retina if it’s diagnosed properly or at the early stage.
- Vitrectomy: This retinal detachment surgery repairs the large tears of the retina. The doctors will remove the vitreous gel and replace it with a gas bubble or silicone oil after cutting through your vitreous using a vitrector. Dr Varun Gogia employs the latest sutureless minimal gauge vitrectomy system that enhances the surgical experience and the outcome.
It is necessary that you take proper care of your eyes by visiting a skilled retina physician regularly to avoid vision problems. It would of great help if you had a regular dilated examination of your eyes at least twice every year. Prevention is better than cure, your sight is very precious, do not lose it by sheer negligence. Stay in touch with your retinal specialist throughout your life.