Glaucoma is a disease that damages your eye's optic nerve. It usually happens when fluid builds up in the front part of your eye.
Glaucoma Specialist in Delhi
Nowadays found very commonly in elderly, Glaucoma is a condition of the eye that affects the optic nerve and occurs when the fluid pressure inside the eye rises.
The eye consists of a small space in the front called the anterior chamber. A clear liquid flows in and out of this chamber. The function of this fluid is to nourish the tissues nearby. When a person has glaucoma, this fluid drains very slowly out of the eyes. This leads to the accumulation of fluid inside the eye and thereby the build up of pressure. This pressure needs to be either brought down or controlled or else it may damage the optic nerve and other parts of the eye thereby leading to a loss of the vision.
This disease is said to affect both the eyes, although one eye may get more damaged than the other.
Causes and Symptoms
Now moving on to the causes behind the occurrence of glaucoma, there are two main causes of it. One is primary glaucoma and the other is secondary glaucoma. Primary glaucoma is one in which the cause of this condition is not known while secondary glaucoma is one in which there is a certain known cause like diabetes, tumour, inflammation or an advanced cataract.
Glaucoma includes various risk factors like eye surgery, old age, myopia, any illness or condition like diabetes, any eye injury or condition and even ethnic factors like an ethnic background. This can be seen from the fact that glaucoma is found more in East Asians, African Americans, and those of Hispanic descent as compared to Caucasians.
There are four main types of glaucoma that are:
Open angle glaucoma in which the rise in the pressure of the eyeball is gradual. It is the most common yet a very serious case of glaucoma as it can damage the optic nerve badly and steal vision at the end.
Angle closure glaucoma occurs mostly in elderly females in which there are complaints of blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, pain etc.
Congenital glaucoma occurs in babies where the size of the eyes increases due to high pressure.
- Secondary glaucoma occurs due to injuries, inflammation, tumor etc.
There are various symptoms of glaucoma that include pain in eyes, red eyes, blurred vision, loss of peripheral vision, sudden or unexpected vision problems and so on.
Glaucoma Services offered at IClinix
Glaucoma Medical Management
Glaucoma Laser Treatment
YAG Laser Peripheral iridotomy
Argon Green Laser trabeculoplasty
Why get Glaucoma treatment from IClinix
- Advanced Diagnostic equipment
- Experienced team of medical practitioners and surgeons
- Clinic handled by surgeons with a cumulative experience of over 30 years
- Excellent record maintenance EMR software for proper follow up and compliance
- Counseling and compliance service
- AIIMS trained Doctors
- Fully equipped investigational lab
- Standardised followup protocols
- Premium packages available
- Cutting edge OCT imaging device for anterior segment and optic nerve head (Avante OCT)
- Latest and safest Laser system (Zeiss YAG system)
- Latest Visual field machine with tailor made modules (Octopus 900 Pro)
- Portable fundus imaging system for wheelchair or bed bound patients